Tõnis Lukas is the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia from 18 July 2022. He is a member of the Isamaa Party.
Tõnis Lukas was born in Tallinn on 5 June 1962. He is married and the father of two daughters and a son. Lukas joined the Isamaa Party in 1992 and is a member of the Academic Unit of the Tartu District of the Estonian Defence League. In 2006, he received the Order of the National Coat of Arms, Fourth Class.
Work and career
- In 2021–2022, he served as the Director of the Estonian Literary Museum.
- In 2019–2021, he served as the Minister of Culture.
- In 2018–2019, he served as the Director of the Tartu Vocational Education Centre.
- In 2013–2018 and 1992–1995, he served as the Director of the Estonian National Museum.
- In 2011–2012, he was a member of the 12th Riigikogu.
- In 2007–2011, he served as the Minister of Education and Research.
- In 2002–2007, he was a member of the 9th and 10th Riigikogu.
- In 1999–2002, he served as the Minister of Education.
- In 1996–1997, he served as the Mayor of Tartu.
- In 1995–1996, he was a member of the 8th Riigikogu, serving as the Chairman of the Cultural Affairs Committee.
Tõnis Lukas graduated from the University of Tartu in 1987 with a major in history, and in 1998, he defended his master’s degree in the same major at the University of Tartu. He speaks Estonian, English, and French.