The former bank house in Munga Street, Tartu, has been the home of the Ministry of Education and Research since 1st of July 2001. The house was built in 1935-1936 and it was designed by architect Arnold Matteus. The Tartu bank house reflects the changes that have occurred in 20th century lifestyle, attitudes and architecture. This building is still one of the most remarkable city elements in Tartu.
Architecturally, the house of the Ministry of Education is a synthesis of arts: the bronze figures of a man and a woman created by sculptor Juhan Raudsepp form a contrast with the light exterior walls. The artist used the same motive in the sculptures that can be seen on the façade of the Tallinn Art House. The main entrance is decorated with the thematic bronze reliefs Industry and Agriculture by Aleksander Eller. The whole entrance makes you feel like walking into a temple. The cornice and ceiling rosettes with their national ornaments found on the second floor must also be highlighted. The second floor has been restored to its historical look.
It is symbolic that the bank house changed its contents in the beginning of the 21st century – the civil society we are heading for changes our understanding of education and money.