The former bank house in Munga Street, Tartu, has been the home of the Ministry of Education and Research since 1st of July 2001.
The house was built in 1935-1936 and designed by architect Arnold Matteus.
The former bank house in Munga Street, Tartu, has been the home of the Ministry of Education and Research since 1st of July 2001. The house was built in 1935-1936 and it was designed by architect Arnold Matteus. The Tartu bank house reflects the changes that have occurred in 20th century lifestyle, attitudes and architecture. This building is still one of the most remarkable city elements in Tartu.
From 1988 to 1996, the structures for the administration of education in Estonia were repeatedly reorganised. The Education Committee was reorganised to create a new Ministry of Education, to administer general, vocational and higher education.
In 1993 the Ministry of Culture and Education was established, responsible of overall education policy, higher education and science, while the State School Board was responsible of general and vocational education.
In 1996 a separate Ministry of Education was re-established.
Further modernisation of the Estonian education system was launched in 1997 by the idea of relocating the Ministry of Education from Tallinn to Tartu. Several regional and economic arguments supported the relocation. By the summer of 2000, a new management model and a plan for moving the Ministry to Tartu (the Tartu Project) were completed.
The Ministry of Education with a transformed structure started its work in Tartu on 1st of July 2001.
The renewed Ministry has been focusing more than previously on management and planning of education and science policy and passed some of its former responsibilities over to its subsidiary agencies or other institutions.
1st of January 2003 the Ministry of Education name was changed to the Ministry of Education and Research.