The general purpose of doctoral schools is to enhance the competitiveness of research in Estonia through interdisciplinary doctoral schools that focus on increasing efficiency of doctoral studies for example by improving the quality of tutoring doctoral candidates by international and national cooperation.
Doctoral schools support:
- winter and summer schools;
- interdisciplinary research projects of doctoral candidates;
- developing curricula in order to improvie the quality of tutoring and teaching doctoral candidates;
- promoting co-operation between the private and public sectors;
- activities related to promoting research in general and doctoral schools in particular;
- developing interdisciplinary scientific Estonian language and research terminology in Estonian;
- facilitating the mobility of doctoral candidates;
- talented young scholars who have interrupted their doctoral studies to return and complete their studies.
In the period of 2009-2015, Estonian universities under public law launched 13 doctoral schools. Compared with the previous period, the newly established doctoral schools have greater coverage in terms of research subjects, providing doctoral studies in nearly all fields of research (apart from law and social services). The wide coverage of doctoral studies by doctoral schools is made possible through co-operation between universities and joint planning.
A doctoral school is run by an Estonian university in cooperation with a partner/partners: other Estonian and foreign universities, R&D organisations, public sector institutions and companies. National and international co-operation is required. Doctoral schools are project-based and funded from the European Social Fund. 16.9 million euros were allocated to doctoral schools in 2009-2015 (plus 5% self-financing).
Doctoral Schools in Estonia in 2009-2015:
- Graduate School in Biomedicine and Biotechnology, University of Tartu
- Estonian Doctoral School in Mathematics and Statistics, University of Tartu
- Doctoral School in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tallinn University of Technology
- Doctoral School in Energy and Geotechnology, Tallinn University of Technology
- Graduate School in Functional Materials and Technologies, University of Tartu
- Doctoral School of Educational Sciences, University of Tallinn
- Doctoral School of Information and Communication Technologies, Tallinn University of Technology
- Graduate School of Linguistics, Philosophy and Semiotics, University of Tartu
- Doctoral School of Clinical Medicine, University of Tartu
- Graduate School of Culture Studies and Art, Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
- Doctoral School of Behavioural, Social and Health Sciences, University of Tartu
- Doctoral School of Earth Sciences and Ecology, University of Tartu
- Doctoral School in Economics and Innovation, University of Tartu